Pets and fire safety aren’t two things you would normally associate with each other. However, around 700 fires are caused by pets or wild animals per year, according to the National Fire Protection Agency! The NFPA recommends following these tips to help prevent pet-related fires:
- Being naturally curious, pets can accidentally bump in, knock over, or turn on cooking equipment. It’s best to keep pets out of the kitchen, for your safety and theirs, and they won’t be under foot!
- Make sure to keep candles, space heaters and lamps away from your pets to avoid burns. Candles and wax melt devices should be kept high out of reach were they can’t be knocked over. Many puppies and young dogs like to chew, so also keep any power cords safe from their reach.
- Avoid any rough or rambunctious indoor-play with your pets while candles, heaters , or fires are in use.
- If your home has a fireplace make sure to use a metal or heat-tempered glass screen, and make sure it stays there. Remember, doors and screens can be hot for several hours after the fire is put out.
- Additionally, maintain a pet-free zone of at least three feet around the fireplace, both inside and out. Keep pets away from any of your chimney’s outdoor vents.
Animal Rescue Alert Stickers
The pet and fire safety tips don’t stop there! Animal rescue alert stickers notify emergency workers and first responders of the type and number of pets in your home. You can also list the name and emergency number of your vet! You can order a pet safety pack that includes a rescue alert sticker from the ASPCA. Your local pet supply store may also keep them in stock. This is great option to plan ahead for the safety of your pets!
A Pets Best pet insurance plan can help make veterinary bills more manageable after an accident. You can choose between the BestBenefit Accident and Illness plan or the Accident-Only policy, then decide if you want to add the Wellness Routine Care option. The best part about this coverage is that it can be used with any licensed vet, and existing Farmers clients get a 5% discount on their policy! Keep in mind that these policies won’t cover previous or on-going health issues, so it’s best to purchase a policy as soon as you adopt!